• Approximately 21,000 tonnes of foie gras were produced in the EU in 2016 (19,000 tonnes of duck foie gras and 2,000 tonnes of goose foie gras).
• The sector generates more than 50,000 direct jobs in the EU, with a turnover of 4 billion euros.
• The European Union produces approximately 95% of the world’s foie gras. The other main producing countries are China, the United States and Canada.
• According to Eurostat, in 2016 intra-EU trade was the most important part of international trade with a rise of more than 23% in the exchanges (173 million euros).
These trade flows can be broken down as follows:
- raw foie gras represented 8,885 tonnes
- foie gras-based preparations (< and > 75% of foie gras) represented 3,425 tonnes.
Japan, Switzerland and Israel are the main foie gras consuming countries outside the EU.