The foie gras sector by numbers
• Approximately 17,260 tonnes of foie gras were produced in the EU in 2017 (16,114 tonnes of duck foie gras and 1,116 tonnes of goose foie gras).
• The sector generates more than 50,000 direct jobs in the EU, with a turnover of 4 billion euros.
• The European Union produces approximately 90% of the world’s foie gras. The other main producer countries are China, the United States and Canada.
• According to Eurostat, international trade in 2017 was dominated by intra-Community trade that grew 11% compared to 2016 (192 million euros).
These trade flows can be broken down as follows:
- raw foie gras represented 7,856 tonnes
- foie gras-based preparations (< and > 75% of foie gras) represented 3,353 tonnes.
Japan, Switzerland and Israel are the main foie gras consumer countries outside EU.